What this Bond Will Fund:
- Johnston Community College will use $15 million in bond funds to design and construct a state-of-the-art 35,000-square-foot building to support the college’s expanding Associate in Engineering (AE) program and STEM-related disciplines.
- The building will include 10 engineering labs including a virtual reality studio for engineering and the natural sciences, interactive classrooms, a large lecture hall, a student lounge and faculty offices, and flexible collaborative space.
- JCC launched its Associate in Engineering program in fall 2015. In three years, enrollment in the program has increased 163%.
- The engineering program serves as a transfer pathway for students seeking a bachelor’s degree at neighboring four-year universities. Program graduates have an 85% acceptance rate at UNC system engineering schools receiving over $120,000 in merit-based scholarships through the Goodnight Scholars Program.
- Residual bond funds will be used for college renovation and expansion needs.